Within your system, you have the ability to issue Certificates to students upon program completion. This can range from Qualification Level Certificates to Statement of Attainments. In this article, we will go over the process involved in creating a certificate against a set of students.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to Create a Certificate for a Set of Students in a Course
To Create a Certificate for a set of students in a course, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Course where you are wanting to generate the certificates for the students.
- From the left-hand menu of the Course, navigate to Certificates.
- You should be presented with the list of all Certificates generated against the course, if any. Click on the + button in the top left-hand corner of the page, to generate some new Certificates.
- Select the certificate settings that you would like to apply to this batch of certificates.
- Template: The template that you would like to use for this certificate.
- Recorded Date: This date is used to determine the year that the certificate will be reported in via AVETMISS files.
- Issued Date: The date that the certificate was issued to the student for qualification completion. This is reported in the AVETMISS files as Parchment Issue Date.
- Reportable: Determines if the certificate is reported in the AVETMISS files. Unchecking this box will prevent the certificate from being reported.
- Digital Export Enabled: Checking this box will export the certificate data to an external system if one is present on your site.
- Notes: Text field where you can enter notes for the certificate. Will not affect anything and is used primarily for internal recordkeeping.
- Next, select which Students you are wanting to generate the Certificate against. Only those students that meet the template Rules will be available for selection e.g. All Units Completed.
- Click on the Preview button once the students are selected. You will be presented with a mock-up of what the Certificates will look like after clicking the Produce button. This page will also show you how many students you have selected for Certificate generation. Note, this may not be an extremely accurate visual representation since the layout of the template is not taken into account until after production.
- Click the Produce button. This will begin the Certificate Generation process. This may take a little while depending on how many students you have selected.
- You will be presented with a green tick on the process is completed. You have the option to download each certificate as an individual PDF via the Download All button, or alternatively you can click the Single PDF File button to merge all certificates into a single file.
Additionally, Next to the document URL for each student, you also have the ability to do the following:
- Copy URL to the clipboard.
- Download the certificate.
- Open the certificate in a new tab.
- If you navigate back to the Certificates page of the course, you should now find these newly generated documents listed accordingly.
You have now successfully created a certificate for a set of students in a course.
If the Reportable checkbox is checked when you create the set of certificates, all certificates in the group will be included in your government reporting.
New Features in Release 5
New functionality has been added to certificates in Release 5.
- You can now revoke a certificate that has been issued to a student
- You can add an expiry date to a certificate
The newly added Revoke Certificate feature can be found in the certificates page for a course. There is a new button next to each certificate listed on this page that will revoke it for that student.
Clicking on this button will bring up a dialog box to confirm if you would like to revoke the certificate. Click on OK to go ahead with revoking the certificate.
Revoking the certificate will prevent it from being reported in your data submitted to the government. The time that the certificate was revoked and the user who revoked it are recorded against the certificate.
If you wish to see revoked certificates, click on the Include revoked certificates checkbox then click on the Search button.
Revoked certificates will be displayed with a grey background, distinguishing them from the other certificates in the course certificates list.
Expiry Dates can now be set against a certificate issued to a student. You can select a date on the certificate create page and this will set an Expiry Date for all certificates being generated.
There is also a new field for certificate templates called Expiration Months. Having a number in this field will automatically calculate the Expiry Date field for certificates generated with that template.
The Expiry Date field will be calculated from the Issued Date field. The Expiration Months from the template are automatically added to the Issued Date field to determine the Expiry Date.