AutoMate is a feature that makes it possible to replace repeatable processes and reduce manual intervention. This could include the automation of an SMS or Email Reminder for an upcoming event or an Email Confirmation when a student enrolment has been accepted.
The purpose of this article is to introduce you to AutoMate and how you can use it to streamline your communications and processes within the student management system.
AutoMate can automate communications such as an email or SMS to students or produce Documents and Notes/Checklists against a Party Record. You can use AutoMate to set up actions automatically performed when specific triggers and conditions are met.
- Student Enrolment is Confirmed → Send an Enrolment Confirmation to the Student via Email.
- 24 Hours Before a Timetabled Event → Send the Student an SMS Reminder.
- 6-Months Post Enrolment Start Date, a New Training Plan, Needs to be Created → Create and Apply a Training Plan to the Student's Party Record.
- A Student Receives a Competent Result for all Units within their Course → Create and Send a Note (Task) to a System User's Dashboard to Issue the Student's Qualification.
Add an Automation
To add a new Automation, follow these instructions:
- Click on the Communications tab → AutoMate → Automations. All previously created Automations (should they exist) will be listed on this page.
- To create a new automation, click the + New button.
- Select a Target from the dropdown list.
What is a Target?
The Target is where you want to create your automation. This step is crucial because it determines the triggers, conditions, and templates available when building this new automation.
For example, if you want to create an 'Enrolment Confirmation' via Email, you select 'Student' as the Target.
- After selecting a Target, the New Automation window will appear.
Name - Create a unique name for your automation that will quickly identify and search for it in the future.
- Description - Describe the purpose of the automation.
- Action - Select whether you want to automate creating a Document/Note or sending an Email.
- Apply to - What entity do you want the automation to apply to?
For example, if we automate an Enrolment Confirmation Email to a Student, we would apply the Enrolment to the Student.
- Execute Task - This is your trigger. Use this section to identify when you want the system to complete the action.
For example, an Email does not have to send straight away. It may be sent hours, days, weeks, months or even years before or after the trigger has occurred. To have something happen immediately after the Trigger and Conditions have been met, set the default value to '0 Hours After...'.
- System Task - If enabled (checked), the system will trigger the automation for all entities for which this workflow task has been created. If this is not enabled, you will need to allocate the automation to each entity (e.g. Course or Event).
- Enabled - If Enabled, this automation will be in effect. If this is not Enabled, you will need to allocate the automation to each entity (e.g. Course or Event).
- Conditions - You can use conditions to filter further when automation is triggered.
For example, you may want an Enrolment Confirmation Email to only be sent to a Student when an Enrolment is Confirmed, and the Trainee/Apprentice Condition met.
- Letter Template - If you are setting up email automation, you will be required to select a previously created Letter Template so that the system knows which email template to use. If you are creating a Note, it will ask you to apply a template from a previously created Note Template.
- Delivery - This is for the Email and Document option/s only. It determines how this template will be delivered to the entity.
- Preference - This will determine whether an email is sent or a Document applied based on the Preferences at the Party Record level.
- Email - This will create and deliver an email.
- Document - This will create and apply a document against the Party Record.
- Publish Document to Portal - If enabled, this will publish a Document of the communication to the portal.
For example, a student would review their email confirmation as a document via the student portal. If disabled, no document will be published to the portal.
- Additional Email Recipients - There is also another function specific to email communications. You can add other CC or BCC email recipients, as well as include document attachments.
- Attachments - Document Templates also require a pre-created template. You can not add a document directly from your computer.
- Click, Create.