The Form Builder is how you create an electronic web form that allows for data collection. You can use the fields in these forms to collect information from an individual. The Form Builder lets you define the fields you include, which will affect the data you can collect.
Using the Form Builder
Depending on your institution, and the types of data you collect, it will affect the fields you include in your report. Due to the uniqueness of each application, we are unable to provide an exact step-by-step process.
Instead, we plan to use this article to break down how each part of the Form Builder works. From here, you will have the knowledge you need to create a form.
Form 'Fields' Tab
The Form Fields in the form builder have been broken down into five key sections:
- Basic - These are fields used to collect custom data. These fields are not linked to a specific field in the Party Record or used for National/State reporting purposes.
- Party Identity Data - These fields are linked to specific areas within the Party record. This information is typically collected for National/State reporting purposes.
- Compliance Data - These fields are for the collection of data required for State Reporting/Funding.
- International - These fields are typically used for collecting specific data relevant to international students.
- Reference Data - These fields exist for data collection only. They use the data that already exists within the Reference Data Tables. For example, you may wish to collect the Gender of a Student's Emergency Contact. The Gender field in the Reference Data section lets you use the drop-down options available for that kind of field.
Form 'Styles' Tab
You can use Form Styles to format the content that exists within the form.
For example, to change the font size, highlight the text you wish to change and then adjust the Font Size option under the Styles Tab.
Form 'Tools' Tab
You can use Form Tools to Save/Close the Form, Add a New Page or Cover to the Form, Delete a Page or Cover from the Form or set Conditions.
- Save - Be sure to Save the Form before closing the window.
- Close - This will Close the Form and return you to the Platform. If there are any unsaved changes, it will warn you before letting you continue.
- + New - This will let you add a New Page to the Form. This is a great way to categorise the questions, breaking up the content to make it more manageable for the student. You can only add Fields to a Page.
- + Cover - You can add a Cover Page to the Web Form. You could use a Cover Page to describe the course, explain the application process or advise the student of who to contact should they get stuck.
- Delete - To delete a Page or Cover, navigate to the Page and then click Delete.
- + New - Conditions make it possible to customise a students journey through the web form. These conditions will affect what questions the form will display, depending on the answers provided.
For example, if a student flags that they have a disability, impairment or long-term condition, you can then choose to display an additional question inquiring into the type of disability, impairment or long-term condition. This is a great way to keep your forms short and ensure you're only asking questions relevant to the student.