Courses are the representation of the training activity undertaken by students.
A Course represents the framework of the training/education you deliver as an education provider, containing Curriculum Information, such as Program and Unit details, and Funding Information and AVETMISS/Compliance based details.
If you are unsure about a particular data entry field, use the Additional Information Icon to see a clarification on what that field is for!
The Additional Information Icon looks like so:
Add a New Course
To add a new Course, follow these steps:
- Go to Courses → Add New Course.
- Click Create next to the Program on which you want to base your Course.
- Review the Confirm Course window and click Next.
You will now be viewing the Edit Details screen of the course creation process. This is where the majority of your data entry will take place. The form is separated into Sections that target particular types of information.
- Complete the Main window.
- Course Number - This serves as a unique identifier for your Course. It is automatically generated.
- Name - This is an admin-level field used to give your Course offering a Unique Name for identification purposes. Underneath this area, AVETMISS relevant information such as Program Code and Program Name is displayed.
- Course Status - You can adjust this field to reflect the current status of the Course (Seeking Enrolments, Active, Inactive, etc.).
- Tags - Can be employed as a unique method to sort/identify particular courses. These are primarily used for internal filtering/reporting.
- Location - Reflects the location where the training is intended to take place.
- Cost Centre - This field is used to help track activity against your business units. A Cost Centre can be allocated to each Course.
- State/Region - AVETMISS specific field used to identify the state/territory location of this training from a national perspective.
- Start Date / End Date - These date fields are used to identify the Admin Period of the Course, reflecting when data entry/management of the course details may take place. This can differ from the Enrolment Start/End Dates that reflect when students may actually be performing the learning involved. Allow Enrolments can be toggled to limit whether enrolments can be recorded against this Course.
- Max/Min Enrolments - These fields are used to impose a limit on student numbers within this Course. Will affect Course Application Forms and their displayed/available spaces.
- Rating - Allows the recording of a 5-star rating to this Course. It can then be later searched for or reported on.
- Brand - Allows the section of a specific RTO-relevant brand for the Course, useful for a company that may make use of specific entities for training offerings—used as an admin field to attribute these specific bodies (such as brands/companies) to this Course. It can be displayed to the student.
- Complete the Resources window.
- Coordinator/Assessor/Academic/Other Academic - Each drop-selection allows you to attach particular staff records to indicate who is responsible for the Course itself. You can then use these dropdowns to fuel automation tools and manage academic caseloads.
- Company Linked - Will display new fields that allow you to link a Company to this particular Course.
- Agent Linked - works as above, offering new fields to associate agent-based bodies that may be responsible for this learning. It lets you search for flagged Agent records.
- Complete the Settings window.
- Report - This checkbox indicates whether the Course is subject to recognised State/National/TCSI reporting requirements.
- Offer Type - You can use this to better define the nature of this offering, using a customisable list of options. Examples can include Fee For Service, Full Qualification, etc.
- Units of Study (Subjects) - indicates if Units of Study / Subjects are to be used.
Related to this option are Units of Study Outcome and Unit Outcome. By default, these are to reflect Course Scope, using whatever was initially configured. Generally, Unit Outcome will always be set up as an indicator of the reporting standard to be used, i.e. National Reporting (Australia)
- Unit Scope Outcome - Provides an option to use a configured Unit Outcome instead, meaning grading will be set based on data entered within the Unit Profile that was created.
- Element Grading / Assessment Grading - These options allow further granular reporting to be applied to Elements/Assessments if they are configured to be used. This data is closely tied to information submitted via the student portal.
- Assessment Method - Reflects Assessment Grading (if in use).
- Hide Applications from Portals - Use this option to allow enrolments via an application form, without the Course being displayed within portals.
- VETiS - This flag is utilised to indicate if this Course is considered a VET In Schools course. Selecting this item allows further details relating to a School Type Identifier to be recorded if present.
- Course Information - This text field allows additional details to be recorded that can be used within an automated email if required.
- Delivery Mode - An AVETMISS relevant field that requires entry to communicate the type of learning delivery method that will be used.
- Study Reason - Provides the option to set a course-level Study Reason, however, this can be amended/entered on a per-enrolment basis to better communicate individual student reasons. Students can also enter their own Study Reason as part of a self-serve data entry process.
- Study Periods - Populated from reference data, this area can be used to reflect particular periods or semesters of learning.
- Start Time / End Time - Use these fields to reflect when the training activity will take place. Ideally for referencing with Class data.
- Invoice Template - If using finance features within the system, this area will allow an Invoice template to be selected to populate/track pricing information.
- Close Course - If at the Program creation stage, you checked the Close Course Manually option, this will then display against the Course. Once checked, it will close and archive a completed course.
- Complete the Claims and Funding window.
- VET Student Loans - A checkbox indicator if this Course is to utilise any TCSI relevant data.
- Priority - This allows the flagging of a specific priority flag for the Course.
- Contract - Used to incorporate a specific funding contract/purchasing contract that has been entered prior.
- Funding Source State - Used to select the state-based funding identifier to be used for this Course.
- Funding Source National - Used to select the national-based funding identifier for this Course.
- Fee Exemption State - A dropdown selection allows you to select a relevant Fee Waiver/Exemption to be used as a top-level element for the created Course.
- Course Fee - Enter what is to be charged for a Course Fee when enrolments are processed, serving as a standard figure for new enrolments.
- Resource Fee - Like above, but targeting incidental costs independent of Course Fee (such as textbooks, etc.)
Towards the end of the page, you will see the remaining fields for entry, targeting state-specific options and optional features.
- If appropriate, complete the State-Specific Data and Assessment Centre windows.
- State Specific Data - This area will target unique reporting requirements for the selected State/Territory, such as unique fee details, data requirements and more. For example: Entering additional Fee Exemption details for Victoria, as per the requirement of SVTS.
- Assessment Centre - If the Assessment Centre functionality is in use, this area will allow the option for flagging particular Assessor Party Records to process Assignments and RPL Evidence.
- Click, Create.
Once created, the system will lead you to a page to view the created information and review it's details prior to processing new enrolments.
You can view any warnings about your Course using the Alert on the right-hand side, and if required, make use of the Edit option on the left-hand side to amend/update your course information.
You have now added a Course.