In [Link to "Create a Check-in Template" article], we explained how to create and set up a Check-in Template. In this article, we will show you how to create an automation in your Student Management System that attaches these Check-in Templates to a student's service, after the service has been created.
Automate the Check-In Template Attachment
- Navigate to Communications → AutoMate → Automations.
- Click the +New button to create a new automation.
- From here, you will be asked to select a Target.
What is a Target?
The Target is where you want to create your automation. This is important because it determines what you can do with the task, the fields you can merge, the templates you can access and the triggers/conditions that are available.
For example; if you want to create an Event Reminder you would select Event as the Target.
For the purpose of this article, we will create an Automated Check-In Template for a Service. Therefore, we have selected Support Service as our Target.
- Complete the New Automation window.
Name - Create a unique name for your automation that will allow you to easily identify and search for it in the future.
- Description - Describe the purpose of the automation.
- Action - Make sure that Create Check-in is highlighted/selected.
- Apply to - This must be set to Support Service, and is likely the only option that is available for Check-in creation.
- Execute Task - This is your trigger. Use this section to identify when to create the Check-in. For the purpose of linking the Check-in to service creation, we can set it up as "0 hours after Service Creation".
- System Task - If enabled (checked), the automation will be triggered for all entities for which this workflow task has been created. If this is not enabled, you will need to allocate the automation to each Entity. For Services functionality, this will need to be enabled.
- Enabled - If enabled, this automation will be in effect.
- Conditions - Conditions can be used to further filter the automation.
For example; you could limit the automation to only create the Check-in if the placement duration is between 30-60 days long.
- Subtasks - Subtasks are unique to Automations that target Student Services. If an automation is executed, the subtask is also triggered. Currently, the only subtask that exists in the system, is one that can automatically update the Service Status to whatever is configured from this setting.
- Check-in Template - Here is where you apply your previously created Check-in Template. This is the template that will be automatically attached, upon Service creation.
You have now set up an automated Check-in Template.