Being able to create an Invoice is a fundamental part of the Finance system. This article will go through the process of creating an invoice against a party profile.
Required: Finance Preferences Overview
This process requires that you have your Finance Preferences configured
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Finding the Party to Invoice
To invoice the person, you will need to find their party profile. You can do this by typing their Full Name or Party ID into the search bar at the top right of the page.
If you need to invoice a company, you can enter the company name instead of the person’s name.
On the left side of the page, click on the Finance menu then click on the Invoices option.
This will bring you to the Invoices page, where you can see all the invoices that have been created for that person. Click on the New button to create a new invoice.
Creating the Invoice
This will bring up the page to enter the invoice details. Some of these fields are mostly for internal tracking and don't need to be filled.
- Invoice Template: This allows you to select the specific template for the invoice when the PDF document for it is generated.
- Invoice Date: The date that the person was issued the invoice. This will default to today’s date but can be changed if desired.
- Payment Due Terms: The number entered here determines the amount of days that the person has to pay the invoice.
- Invoice Category: This has three options, Internal, External and Other. This allows you to flag what kind of ledger the line item belongs to.
- Invoice Status: Controls if the invoice is Active or Cancelled, cancelled invoices will be hidden in certain parts of the system.
- Description: You can enter a description for the invoice for internal reference purposes.
The rest of the fields are for internal recordkeeping and can be ignored if preferred.
Entering Line-Item Information
This is the essential part of the invoice, where most of the important financial information is entered.
- Qty: The amount of this item that you would like to charge the party.
- Line item: The name of the item that you are charging the party for.
- Ledger: The ledger that the line item is for, this is important if you are exporting this to an external finance system such as Xero.
Ledgers can be configured at Administration → Lookups → Reference Data → Ledger Code Lookup
- Subledger: Subledgers can be important for external finance systems, this will allow you to set it against the line item.
- Amount: How much the party will be charged for the item.
- Tax: Determines if GST is included or excluded from the total of this item.
- Subtotal: This field will automatically fill with the total for the item, taking tax and any other modifiers into account.
Once you have all the required details entered for the invoice, click on the Create button.
You have now created an Invoice for a Party.