Payments are items that represent amounts of money paid towards invoices. In this article, we will go over the process of creating a payment against an invoice.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Payments cannot be edited after they have been created. Ensure that all details are correct before you create the payment.
Finding the Party with the Invoice
To issue a payment towards an invoice, you will need to find the party profile that the invoice is attached to. To do this, go to the search bar at the top right of the page and type in the name of the party profile (Party ID will also work).
On the left side of the party profile page, click on Payments under the Finance menu.
This page will display any payments that have been made against invoices. Click on the New button to create a new one.
There will be some invoices to select near the top of the page. Select the invoice that you would like to create the payment for.
- Invoice Number: The number for the invoice that you’re creating the payment for. This will be filled in automatically if you choose an invoice from the top of the page.
- Reference: If you have a reference code that can be entered for the payment, it can be entered into this field.
- Payment Date: This will default to the date that you’re creating the payment, but it can be changed if desired.
- Type: The type of payment that you are creating (Regular Payment, Refund, Debt Write Off, etc).
- Source: Where the money for the payment came from (Cash, Credit Card, Cheque, etc).
- Amount: The total amount of outstanding balance on the invoice.
- Location: The location where the payment was made.
- Description: A text box that allows you to write notes for the payment.
- Invoice Items: A list of the specific items on the invoice. You can input the specific amount that is being paid towards the invoice item.
Once you have filled in all of the required details for the payment, click on the Create button.
You have now created a Payment for an Invoice.