Having Number Schemes set up properly is essential for everyday use of your system. In this article, we will go over the process of setting up Number Schemes for different parts of your system.
What are Number Schemes?
Number Schemes are a sequence of numbers used in the identifier for different items in your system, such as party profiles, courses, and certificates. When one of these items is created, an identifier is automatically assigned to the item and the number sequence will increment up by one.
The format of these identifiers can be customised for your site. Most Number Schemes contain a number that is part of the sequence and a prefix (such as CERT, RTO, CSE), both can be customised to your liking.
Configuring Number Schemes
Number Schemes can be accessed via Administration → Configuration → Number Schemes.
This will bring up a list of Number Schemes that can be configured. Click on the Number Scheme that you would like to edit and click on the Edit button.
Number Scheme Details
- Name: Name of the Number Scheme.
- Next Value: The next number in the sequence, will be used on the next item created.
- Date Reset: A set date the Number Scheme will reset the number increments back to the first value.
- Description: The description for the Number Scheme.
On the bottom of the page, you will see some options for configuring different sets of number sequences for the Number Scheme.
- Name: Name of the number set.
- Description: Description for the number set.
- Formula: The prefix for the numbers in the scheme and the amount of digits that will be used. For example, the number sequence in this set will generate as CERT00001, CERT00002, CERT00003, etc.
- Values: The numbers for the Number Scheme, the first value is the minimum possible value and the second value is the maximum possible value. If the second value is blank, the sequence will keep going until the maximum supported value is reached.
- Active: Sets whether the Number Scheme is being used or not.
Once you have configured your Number Scheme, click on the Update button.
The settings saved in your Number Scheme should now be applied when a new instance of the item is created.