Having the ability to emails your students is a crucial feature in a Student Management System. In this article, we will go over the process of configuring your email settings.
An SMTP server is required to send emails using your system. This can be set up yourself or you can use an SMTP provider. Some commonly used SMTP providers are:
Finding your Email Settings
To get to your email settings, go to Administration → Configuration → Preferences.
Click on the Communications tab on the left side of the page and click on the Edit button.
SMTP Server Settings
- Hostname: The hostname URL for your SMTP server.
- Port: The port used by your SMTP server. 25 and 587 are common ports for sending emails.
- Disable TLS Certificate Verification: Disables TLS verification when making a connection to the SMTP server.
- Username: The username that you use to log into your SMTP server.
- Password: The password that you use to log into your SMTP server.
- Authentication: Sets the authentication method when an email is sent to the server from your system.
- Auto STARTTLS: If this is enabled, it will attempt to upgrade the connection to your SMTP server to an encrypted connection.
- TLS: Secures your emails using a TLS layer.
Email Address Settings
This is where your sender email addresses can be configured. Click on the New button to add a sender email address.
- From address: The email address that you would like to send emails from. This doesn’t need to be the same as the username entered above, but it does need to be entered as a sender email address in your SMTP provider settings.
- From name: The display name for the email sender. The email will display this name instead of the email address.
- Reply to user: If this option is enabled, replies to emails sent from this address will be forwarded to the inbox of the email address.
- Primary: Sets this sender address as the primary email address for your system.