This article contains all information and resources required for Session 9.2 of the Onboarding Education training series. In this session, you will be introduced to the Student Portal, a self service portal that students can use to submit application, forms and assignments as well as view their timetable and track their progress. The Trainer Portal will also be introduced. The Trainer Portal allows Trainers to perform actions such as view Course information, as well as mark attendance, outcomes and assessments.
A PDF copy of the slides for this session are available to download:
Figure 1. Session placement in workflow.
- Introduction - 00:00
- Training Overview - 00:52
- Student Portal Overview - 3:00
- Portal System Preferences - 3:47
- Student portal access - 5:24
- Setting Up the Student Portal - 7:41
- Dashboard Overview - 11:33
- Using the Student Portal - 19:28
- Trainer Portal - 23:19
- Granting a Trainer Access to the System - 25:41
- Navigation Overview - 29:31
- Recording Activity Overview - 31:11
- Basic Navigation - 35:26
- Assessment Centre Overview - 44:57
- Using the Assessment Centre - 50:41
- Communication Overview - 55:37
- Create a New Note for a Course - 58:33
- Summary & Action Items - 1:00:55
If you wish to complete this session with an education consultant, you can book a paid one on one session here: [not currently available]
To complete this session, you will require the following resources. Please be mindful that the majority of sessions are more valuable if you have completed the previous sessions in the workflow (see figure 1).
|1||Access to the student management system, including URL, username and password|
|2||Enable the Student Portal - using the following article for assistance|
|3||Have at least one student in the SMS|
|4||Have at least one trainer in the SMS|
|Prerequisite Knowledge and Understanding|
|5||Basic system navigation|
Session Outcomes/Action Items
Following the session, we recommend you complete the following action items. This will assist in enabling you to set up your Student Management System correctly, as well as prepare you for the next and future training sessions.
The following resources provide additional support and information relating to this session.
- Can the student access their third party LMS from within the student portal?
Yes, there are multiple options for this:
Adding an external link
Adding a new tile to the Portal
- My student portal doesn't look like the one you showed. Why?
You will need to enable the new dashboard. Navigate to Administration > Configuration > Preferences > Self-Service Portals
- Is it possible to NOT show financial information in the Portal
Yes. You can changed the settings for finance in Administration > Configuration > Preferences > Self-Service Portals
- My Course forms are not showing up in the Student Portal???
You need to check the Course Form Settings to make sure Portal is enabled.