This article contains all information and resources required for Session 6 of the Onboarding Education training series. In this session, you will be introduced to some of the options for dealing with finance within the SMS. Generating invoices, payments and refunds will be covered, as well as a thorough introduction to the Smart Fees system.
A PDF copy of the slides for the Session is available to download:
Figure 1. Session placement in workflow.
Finance Overview and Basics
Smart Fees Overview
Reference Data for Smart Fees
Linking Smart Fee to a Course
- Introduction - 00:00
- Training Overview - 01:00
- Party Invoices Overview - 02:46
- Setting up Party Invoices - 12:51
- Course Form Payments Overview - 13:42
- Setting up Course Form Payments - 28:28
- Bulk Enrolments Payment Options - 34:13
- Setting up Bulk Enrolments Payments - 37:07
- Smart Fees Overview - 43:02
- Creating Smart Fees - 49:42
- Automatic Smart Fees - 56:12
- Setting Up Automatic Smart Fees - 59:11
- Finance Hub - 1:01:21
- Summary & Action Items - 1:03:53
To complete this session, you will require the following resources. Please be mindful that the majority of sessions are more valuable if you have completed the previous sessions in the workflow (see figure 1).
|1||Access to the Student Management System, including URL, username and password|
|3||Curriculum management setup, including program and units|
|4||At least one Course created|
|5||A party record|
|Prerequisite Knowledge and Understanding|
|6||Basic system navigation|
The following diagram displays the processes you will need to set up for different types of payments. This diagram is reproduced from the PowerPoint slides (available for download above). Each process is documented in full in the webinar.
Session Outcomes/Action Items
Following the session, we recommend you complete the following action items. This will assist in enabling you to set up your Student Management System correctly, as well as prepare you for the next and future training sessions.
Create a quote
Create an invoice
Create a payment
Create a refund/credit note
If using Smart Fees:
Setup a Smart Fees library
Link Smart Fees to a Course
Setup Course Form payments
Take a look at Finance Hub to view what you have created
The following resources provide additional support and information relating to this session.
- PowerPoint (download)
- I am trying to set up smart fees, however, I can’t see the payment options to add this to the course under finance.
It's possible you have enabled automatic Smart fees for your course. If you have enabled automatic Smart fees you don’t get the option to manually setup a payment option.
If you are not wishing to uses automatic smart fees and are yet to take any enrolments you can navigate to the course details and disable this feature.
- Why can’t I disable automatic Smart Fees?
You are unable to edit the automatic smart fees feature once you have started to take enrolments.
- Can I take a deposit at time of enrolment through the course from, and then uses SmartFees to charge the rest of the cost at enrolment?
Yes, this is possible. Note: you will NOT be able to use automatic SmartFees as you will need to set up a payment option.
- We don’t use quotes, Do you have to quote to create an invoice?
You don’t have to quote to be able to invoice. Its possible to jump over the quote step and move right onto the invoice step.