This article contains all information and resources required for Session 7 of the Onboarding Education training series. In this session, you will move through the standard student life cycle within the SMS. This includes managing student USIs, the enrolment wizard, marking attendance and outcomes, and completing students.
A PDF copy of the slides for this Session is available to download:
Figure 1. Session placement in workflow.
Enrolling into Courses
Letters and Forms
Completing This Session
If you wish to complete this session, you can:
Register for a free upcoming webinar:
Option 1: 28/03/2023
Option 2: 25/05/2023
Book a paid one-one-one session [not yet available]
To complete this session, you will require the following resources. Please be mindful that the majority of sessions are more valuable if you have completed the previous sessions in the workflow (see figure 1).
|1||Access to the Student Management system, including URL, username and password|
|2||A test student for enrolling and recording evidence against|
|A test student profile|
|Prerequisite Knowledge and Understanding|
|6||How to create a party profile|
|7||How to create courses|
Session Outcomes/Action Items
Following the session, we recommend you complete the following action items. This will assist in enabling you to set up your Student Management System correctly, as well as prepare you for the next and future training sessions.
Create a party profile and edit their AVETMISS details
Verify a student's USI
Enrol a student in a course
Enrol multiple students into a course (bulk enrolment)
Record attendance for an event
Record results for a party profile
Make use of the bulk feature to record attendance and unit results
Issue a certificate to a student who has completed all units
Update enrolment status to completed
The following resources provide additional support and information relating to this session.
- I'm using online course forms for my applications, do I still need to use the enrolment wizard?
If you selected the 'auto enrol ' button on the settings page of your course application form, you will not need to manual enrol students (ie you will not need to use the enrolment wizard) as students are already enrolled. If you did not select the 'auto enrol' button, you will need to process your applications that have appeared in the Kanban by selecting the course application number and then hitting enrol (then proceed through enrolment wizard).
- I'm going to enrol students in a non-accredited courses. Do I need to collect and verify student USI data?
No. Unless you are required to report USI, you do not need to collect it. It does not need to be verified for non-accredited courses.
- We use an external system to mark attendance for our students. Do I also need to add this data into the SMS?
No, not unless it's required for reporting. If you're unsure of your requirements, please take to your compliance expert.
- When trying to enrol a student it's saying "USI functionality has not yet been activated." How do I fix this?
You will need to setup the USI integration. This was discussed in Topic 2 (https://help-education.readytech.io/support/solutions/articles/51000332217-session-2-site-setup).
- Can I create a party profile for a student even if I don't know all their information eg. date of birth?
Yes, You can create a party with just a name.
- Do you have to attach a photo to the party profile?
No, this is 100% optional.
- I go into the calendar view to mark attendance but there is nothing there.
You will need to ensure you setup events for you to be able to mark attendance against. We talk about how to do this is topic 4 (https://help-education.readytech.io/support/solutions/articles/51000332273-session-4-courses/preview)
- I am trying to issue a Certificate to a student, however its not letting me select them.
In topic 2 (https://help-education.readytech.io/support/solutions/articles/51000332217-session-2-site-setup) we covered how to set up rules that will stop you being able to issue a certificate. Please review the rules to see if this is causing the problem.
- I completed a students enrolment (gave it an end date and set status to completed) however its still showing under active enrolments.
An Enrolment will only show as inactive after the end date has passed. So if the end fate is today, it will not be inactive until tomorrow.